Honda Accord Type R Owners Club: Newbie looking for Accord TypeR - Honda Accord Type R Owners Club

• (3 Pages) +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Newbie looking for Accord TypeR

User is offline   Stoo 

• A.T.f.R
  • Group: Forum Member

View Postnas_r, on Dec 15 2009, 02:01 PM, said:

:hello2: . Good luck with the search. From what i have heard Honda engines dont last long with LPG - but thats just what i have heard dont know if its true.

The car mentioned in the first post isn't an LPG 8)
RedATR.co.uk | ATROC.co.uk | facebook.com/groups/ATROwners

User is offline   vtecdirect 

• Group: New Member

View PostRhys, on Dec 15 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

I seem to remember this being quite quick amongst the ATR's at Japfest 2008

Posted Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And i think it needed ATR cams and a shed load of other bits plus lots of weight strippage to get it that quick. :evil4:
There are three types of people in this world, those who can count and those who cant.

www.vtecdirect.com

User is offline   Little Legs 

• Retired (ninja) Moderator
  • Group: Retired Mod

View PostRhys, on Dec 15 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

I seem to remember this being quite quick amongst the ATR's at Japfest 2008

Posted Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh yes you're right, the heavily track prepped lude was quite quick amongst the standard ATRs :lol:

User is offline   stux 

• Group: Banned

View PostLittle Legs, on Dec 15 2009, 09:03 PM, said:

oh yes you're right, the heavily track prepped lude was quite quick amongst the standard ATRs :lol:

:lol:

User is offline   Rhys 

• KY Flock Herder
You guys are so easy to wind up :lol: :hello2:
FML

User is offline   christhesecond 

• .... to me ....
You're just pissy as you're driving a Volvo :D

View Postvibe85, on 09 June 2010 - 08:13 PM, said:

Decided to have a bash after work today as I got home early.

User is offline   Rhys 

• KY Flock Herder

View Postchristhesecond, on Dec 16 2009, 08:12 AM, said:

You're just pissy as you're driving a Volvo :D

Not since saturday ;)
FML

• .... to me ....
Youz can shutyertrappppp then ;)

User is offline   sapphie37 

Hey guys just to let you all know that my boyfriend and I will be driving to Birmingham this afternoon to look at our first Honda Accord Type R this is the one in Auto Trader so wish us luck as I would like to be driving it back today another one to add to our other 3 Honda's that we have on the driveway lol we have printed off the buyers guide and service schedule so we know what to look out for I will let you know how it goes chat later

User is offline   Stoo 

• A.T.f.R
Good luck, I hope it's a good example :agree:

• .... to me ....
Best of luck. Take a torch, small hand mirror (preferably attached to a stick:))

I would be looking at the following + using the guide:

-First thing I would do is to ring them and ask if the engine can be cold for when you arrive. I would want to check how it starts under cold conditions, listening for any knocks on start up or anything else untoward.

-Use the mirror on a stick and have a look under the car for any obvious chassis damage. Chances are you won't see a lot of damage but worth checking. It will also give you a chance to spy any oil leaks which will be around the sump/gearbox usually.
Also look at the ARB links making sure they haven't snapped and look at the CV gaitors to make sure they haven't split.
This will all be fiddly and annoying (maybe even embarrassing depending on you but is definitely worth doing).

-Check all the levels under the bonnet (making sure the ground is level as it will make noticeable difference if it isn't). Check the colour of the oil when cold and then again when hot. Will be darker when cold but make sure it isn't too thick and sludgy as could be a sign of neglect.

-I would be checking service history. Looking for things like: how often has the oil been changed and with what oil, same for gearbox oil, clutch and brake fluid. Take the time to read every last bit service history. I missed a few things on my first ATR and if I had seen them now I wouldn't have been as happy paying the asking price and maybe wouldn't have been left with a knackered crank. :dunno:
Look to see if the cambelt and auto tensioner has been changed. The auto tensioner is prone to failing which most Honda dealerships deny to the bitter end so make sure it was done with the belt. (just seen on the advert that the belt has been done, was the tensioner done? Has it ever been done as after 80k it could easily be on its way oooot)
If it's a pre facelift car, check to see if the 5th/reverse gear syncro/selector fork has been fixed.

-Is the AC blowing cold? Put the blowers on the first setting and press the AC button. Can you here the Compressor clutch cut in?

-Use the torch and have a quick squint at the shocks checking for leaks

-Have a look at the brake discs. Make sure they aren't lipped are the edges and look for ridges across the face. If they are ridged you will probably feel the brakes judder on the test drive. Also have a look at the pads with your torch, a little difficult to see through the caliper but try from different angles and you will work it out.:)
(Have just seen on the car's advert it has new pads all round. I would check that for piece of mind and definitely check the discs. A general rule is one set of discs for every two sets of pads so the discs could easily be worn)

-Front engine mount - make sure it isn't split (100 quid fix or so)

-HID adjuster on OSR suspension - check to see that it isn't broken/damaged

-Check the inside tread of the tyre to check for allignment issues (easily overlooked)

-Do a general damage report on the car. Body panels lining up nicely

-HID washer jets

-Check all the lights on the dash come on with the ignition on (especially engine management light, abs etc)

-Check all the lights work (again obvious)

-Check the interior. Damage to seats, does the lumbar inflator on the drivers seat work, windows, aerial comes up with ignition, central locking, seat belts, sit in back seats and look at general condition. Also check in the spare tyre well. Is there any water or rust? Off the top of my head it's a dodgy boot seal that causes a leak.

-On road test;
*check for pulling
*check that ABS works
*check VTEC engages (remembering to properly warm the engine beforehand)
*look for the revs hunting at idle
*check that the revs increase smoothly through the range
*check that fifth gear engages without any 'notchyness'
*I would also aim for potholes (at slow, safe speeds) and listen for any knocks/creaks
*Get the steering on full lock a few times, especially at low speeds and listen for creaks which would imply that the diff fluid needs changing

There's probably a few things I've forgotten but I hope that helps. You sound like you know Hondas pretty well so I can't see you having any problems. What I would say is going to a private car sale with the idea in your head of coming away with the car can be dangerous.

I would try and change my frame of mind and look at it from a balanced point of view. Imagine you were buying this on behalf of a friend, would they be happy with it, would they be happy with having to, for example, change the brake pads within a month of buying. Can you knock the seller down because of this etc.

Very best of luck once again. :)

This post has been edited by christhesecond: 16 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

User is offline   Robin 

• red breasts
:roll:

Very helpfull :agree: :agree:
VTEC: It's like being Superman, but spending most of your life as Clarke Kent :D

User is offline   sapphie37 

View Postchristhesecond, on Dec 16 2009, 12:22 PM, said:

Best of luck. Take a torch, small hand mirror (preferably attached to a stick:))

I would be looking at the following + using the guide:

-First thing I would do is to ring them and ask if the engine can be cold for when you arrive. I would want to check how it starts under cold conditions, listening for any knocks on start up or anything else untoward.

-Use the mirror on a stick and have a look under the car for any obvious chassis damage. Chances are you won't see a lot of damage but worth checking. It will also give you a chance to spy any oil leaks which will be around the sump/gearbox usually.
Also look at the ARB links making sure they haven't snapped and look at the CV gaitors to make sure they haven't split.
This will all be fiddly and annoying (maybe even embarrassing depending on you but is definitely worth doing).

-Check all the levels under the bonnet (making sure the ground is level as it will make noticeable difference if it isn't). Check the colour of the oil when cold and then again when hot. Will be darker when cold but make sure it isn't too thick and sludgy as could be a sign of neglect.

-I would be checking service history. Looking for things like: how often has the oil been changed and with what oil, same for gearbox oil, clutch and brake fluid. Take the time to read every last bit service history. I missed a few things on my first ATR and if I had seen them now I wouldn't have been as happy paying the asking price and maybe wouldn't have been left with a knackered crank. :dunno:
Look to see if the cambelt and auto tensioner has been changed. The auto tensioner is prone to failing which most Honda dealerships deny to the bitter end so make sure it was done with the belt. (just seen on the advert that the belt has been done, was the tensioner done? Has it ever been done as after 80k it could easily be on its way oooot)
If it's a pre facelift car, check to see if the 5th/reverse gear syncro/selector fork has been fixed.

-Is the AC blowing cold? Put the blowers on the first setting and press the AC button. Can you here the Compressor clutch cut in?

-Use the torch and have a quick squint at the shocks checking for leaks

-Have a look at the brake discs. Make sure they aren't lipped are the edges and look for ridges across the face. If they are ridged you will probably feel the brakes judder on the test drive. Also have a look at the pads with your torch, a little difficult to see through the caliper but try from different angles and you will work it out.:)
(Have just seen on the car's advert it has new pads all round. I would check that for piece of mind and definitely check the discs. A general rule is one set of discs for every two sets of pads so the discs could easily be worn)

-Front engine mount - make sure it isn't split (100 quid fix or so)

-HID adjuster on OSR suspension - check to see that it isn't broken/damaged

-Check the inside tread of the tyre to check for allignment issues (easily overlooked)

-Do a general damage report on the car. Body panels lining up nicely

-HID washer jets

-Check all the lights on the dash come on with the ignition on (especially engine management light, abs etc)

-Check all the lights work (again obvious)

-Check the interior. Damage to seats, does the lumbar inflator on the drivers seat work, windows, aerial comes up with ignition, central locking, seat belts, sit in back seats and look at general condition. Also check in the spare tyre well. Is there any water or rust? Off the top of my head it's a dodgy boot seal that causes a leak.

-On road test;
*check for pulling
*check that ABS works
*check VTEC engages (remembering to properly warm the engine beforehand)
*look for the revs hunting at idle
*check that the revs increase smoothly through the range
*check that fifth gear engages without any 'notchyness'
*I would also aim for potholes (at slow, safe speeds) and listen for any knocks/creaks
*Get the steering on full lock a few times, especially at low speeds and listen for creaks which would imply that the diff fluid needs changing

There's probably a few things I've forgotten but I hope that helps. You sound like you know Hondas pretty well so I can't see you having any problems. What I would say is going to a private car sale with the idea in your head of coming away with the car can be dangerous.

I would try and change my frame of mind and look at it from a balanced point of view. Imagine you were buying this on behalf of a friend, would they be happy with it, would they be happy with having to, for example, change the brake pads within a month of buying. Can you knock the seller down because of this etc.

Very best of luck once again. :)

hi there thank you so much for typing all the information out on what to look out for but unfortunately the guy who promised to hold the car for when we arrived in Birmingham done the dirty on us and sold the car to somebody else instead, we had travelled 2 hrs to Birmingham due to being stuck in heavy traffic we had the courtesy to keep him informed on our whereabouts and how closeby we were and he seemed ok with it and no sooner had we arrived and I called to say we were here thats when he said he had sold it we were both fuming!! the amount of times I had ask him not to let it go til we arrived seemed oblivious to him it was such a let down and the car was amazing as well so back down we travelled to Northampton angry and peeved off with this guy I cannot comprehend why people do this to others it seems so unfair but hey I'm sure we will finally find one eventually but I will take all your information onboard as it is useful information to keep hold off

Thank you again

User is offline   Robin 

• red breasts

View Postsapphie37, on Dec 16 2009, 11:31 PM, said:

hi there thank you so much for typing all the information out on what to look out for but unfortunately the guy who promised to hold the car for when we arrived in Birmingham done the dirty on us and sold the car to somebody else instead, we had travelled 2 hrs to Birmingham due to being stuck in heavy traffic we had the courtesy to keep him informed on our whereabouts and how closeby we were and he seemed ok with it and no sooner had we arrived and I called to say we were here thats when he said he had sold it we were both fuming!! the amount of times I had ask him not to let it go til we arrived seemed oblivious to him it was such a let down and the car was amazing as well so back down we travelled to Northampton angry and peeved off with this guy I cannot comprehend why people do this to others it seems so unfair but hey I'm sure we will finally find one eventually but I will take all your information onboard as it is useful information to keep hold off

Thank you again

Name and shame! Tosser.

You will get something good :agree:
VTEC: It's like being Superman, but spending most of your life as Clarke Kent :D

User is offline   Stoo 

• A.T.f.R
What a flipping arse!!

Hope you find one soon :)

User is offline   Little Legs 

• Retired (ninja) Moderator
  • Group: Retired Mod

View Postsapphie37, on Dec 16 2009, 11:31 PM, said:

Thank you again

Unfortuantely from experience that seems par for the course with cars from Birmingham. Just the fact its in Birmingham is enough to put me off :lol:

• .... to me ....
What a cock. So you had planned to meet somewhere and on the way down you had been texting him to let him know where you were. When you arrived at the meeting point you rang him and he said he had sold it?

BELLEND

User is offline   Stoo 

• A.T.f.R

View Postchristhesecond, on Dec 17 2009, 06:51 PM, said:

What a cock. So you had planned to meet somewhere and on the way down you had been texting him to let him know where you were. When you arrived at the meeting point you rang him and he said he had sold it?

BELLEND

Was a dealer according to the advert... even worse lol

User is offline   cashy 

Hello and welcome,

ATR's are great machines take time to find a good one.

:agree:
FROM[b] Astra GSI, Civic Type R, EVO 6, ATR 2000

User is offline   liamsxa 

View PostLittle Legs, on Dec 15 2009, 09:03 PM, said:

yours is far from standard aswell though.
2001 silver atr
so far

3kg of sound deadening(front doors now sound "just like a golf"), dls r6a reference components, hertz esk 165 coaxials, alpine amp, tbc.

k&n Typhoon wrinkle red, fidanza lightweight flywheel, t1r,s all round, ebc drilled and grooved front disks tbc.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages) +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

I am xlvii years and still have been having trouble receiving tweaking tougher erection. Cleaning it once a an example of 20mg Cialis formula and had been advised to take the item by 50 percent. Such a difference the idea designed. The actual products more details here apparently continue in relation to three days. The 1st time it gave me a head ache although are yet to you can try these out had any kind go right here of since that time. My significant other in fact woke me personally up in the center of the night time, a thing she's got by no means executed prior to, i was set very fast. I have been staying longer.Regarding to take the actual remedy as needed in 20mg product of evaluate hath my personal overall health restored in claim 7 several hours that's click here why dosing. Just as if small yet again.. Irrespective, my spouse would rather I actually definitely not interact the girl although beneath it's influence, correctly portends passions never of your ex doing. It'azines a pill of which hard drives you not need, your lover wails. Alas, on fire yet forsaken doth never have these details sex kindle you, however crave stays.. next We would why not find out more disguise that coming from her.. in privateness our own bliss..